We are going to explain 10 basic tips to prepare an Ultratrail, races on foot of more distance normally, than a marathon.
1. One of the first tips is to buy best shoe for plantars fasciitis and perform a stress test for this type of effort (they are tests where, in addition to speed, the incline on the treadmill is increased, and where the protocol chosen is that of a long-term test, thus obtaining = “lactic acid” provides us with more information, you may think that it is from one type of test or another, our maximum levels are what they are, but the information from this type of tests will reveal a series of data , very interesting, that would complement those obtained with a normal test, such as how “cheap” we are in full effort (less energy consumption, more durability)
2. In order to prepare an ultratrail well, we will consider it as one of the objectives of the season, if for a considerable time (5-6 months) before the date, we will plan the training sessions with that objective.
3. As they are very long races and where it is common that in addition to running you have to carry out some sections walking, it is very important to train these changes, to know how to get a good = “rhythm control” href = “http: //blog.intersport. en / running / pace-control-for-optimal-training / “> running pace, after having overcome some steep slopes, is difficult. Sometimes you want to insist on running in steep places and it is best to walk quickly. This is one of the facets that you have to train well, walk fast, also in these sections we can help ourselves a lot with the Nordic walking poles. Many people think that using poles is simply to lean on and sometimes they do not use dragons to catch them, misuse, the poles are to be used in the same way as the cross-country poles, with the drawstrings very well adjusted and used to push forward. These have to be specific to run, without snow washers and with a suitable toe cap and as light as possible, I recommend the one-piece ones (the folding ones are heavier and more delicate)
4. If it is essential to prepare well for any type of competition, our mind, for this type of race, is it, the one that will allow us to resist them or not. During the course of an ultratrail we will have time for all kinds of thoughts to pass through our minds, we will go from excessive euphoria, to discouragement and to the typical question … and what am I doing here, calm this happens to everyone, whatever level you are. No matter how badly we go through it at some point, think that this can change at any time and that the other participants also get tired, it is common to think “how bad I am” and not see that the others are doing the same, this is a question for see things positively, when we have a bad time. It is important to know how to motivate ourselves in difficult times, Sometimes it is good to bring some type of food that we really like and give us a prize, to see things differently, a candy, a chocolate, etc. A basic question, during the journey of the ultratrail, we will set ourselves specific objectives, for example our first objective will be to reach the first provisioning or control, then the next and so on etc. if at the start we start thinking about the entire route 80 – 90 – 100 km … we will leave with a good dose of panic.
5. Another important question, knowing how to “recover” in the less demanding sections, descents, etc., and recovering means relaxing the pulsations, breathing deeply, eating, drinking and… looking at the landscape, to disconnect for a few moments and stop thinking in the effort.
6. We will be very careful with the material, which we will have tested, several times before, of the competition. We will try that our material adapts as much as possible to the type of ultratrail that we are going to make, if it is very stony, if it is very humid, if it is going to be very cold, etc. Therefore it is possible that we have to run with gloves, or a hat or a short wind, backpack, this must have been tried before and think that there is a lot of difference between a technical garment and one that is not.
7. At least one day a week we will plan a training, of at least half of the chosen ultratrail, 35 -40 km, with all the equipment and supplies that we are going to use on it and a couple of days more, of about 20 -25 km. In the mountains, from these trainings, we have to recover well, that is, they must be very well interspersed in the planning. We will complement them with very soft workouts afterwards or with bicycle sessions.
8. If we can, we will go weeks or days before to recognize the most difficult sections of the route.
9. Before bursting for trying to keep up with a specific rhythm, it is better to slow down or “reward ourselves with a stretch of relaxation, walking” we will not recover a burst, and perhaps 15 minutes of relaxation will give us back enough strength to continue well rhythm. It is better to decide when to relax, rather than our body deciding.
10. The days before departure we will take good care of our diet, recharging the “tanks” to the full, as well as checking that we are well recovered from the last training sessions, 3-4 days before, we do not have to do any strong training, but it is important keep up the activity, smooth running, cycling, etc. It is better than being completely stopped and also this will help us to be calmer the hours before departure.
It is also important to take great care of our supplies, both solid and liquid, what we have on us we have to have tried before on several occasions, that it is varied and that it is really effective, it is best to have the advice of a good nutritionist. In the organization’s refreshments, we will take the most natural food possible, fruit, water alone, if we are eating and drinking the same thing all the time, (energy products) in the end we will hate and we will stop eating and drinking.